This year of 2020 was really unpredictable in every way with the global wide coronavirus pandemic hitting the entire world which initiated the lockdown for almost eight months in India that meant people only got entertained through digital series and films but the most surprising fact was that even in this pandemic filled year, the films we expected to be hit didn’t but the ones we didn’t expect did excellent digitally which is why we bring forth the 5 Bollywood movies of 2020 that were digitally successful.
Where films like Laxmii, Durgamati, and Sadak 2 flopped digitally at the OTT streaming platforms , so here is the much awaited list of 5 bollywood movies of 2020 that were digitally successful.
1. Dil Bechara (Disney Hotstar, July 2020) – The last bow of late B town superstar Sushant Singh Rajput to his fans, family, friends and audiences was indeed teary and emotional. Dil Bechara, marked the debut of the versatile newbie starlet Sanjana Sanghi in Bollywood, This film was one of the most successful films of 2020 digitally which also marked the directorial debut of renowned casting director Mukesh Chhabra in Bollywood. The love story of Manny and Kizzie will forever be engrained in the hearts of fans, his friends and audiences. it was an official hindi adaptation of John Green’s The Fault In Our Stars (2014).
2. Malang (Netflix, 2020) – This romantic thriller saga film which was the last film of pre COVID 19 that was a superhit in box office also released digitally on Netflix and worked exceptionally well there also. Directed by Mohit Suri (Ek Villain, Aashiqui 2) this romantic thriller revenge saga Malang is very twisted yet intriguing in its own way that kept audiences captivated to the edge of their seats. With an ensemble cast of Aditya Roy Kapur, Disha Patani, Kunal Kemmu, Anil Kapoor surely this film was also widely watched and enjoyed by Indian youth digitally in the lockdown and after seeing this amazing response and massive success at the box office and digitally as well, Malang’s sequel Malang 2 has also been announced which is currently in the works.
3. Khuda Haafiz (Disney Hotstar, 2020) – This action thriller film starring the martial arts and action star Vidyut Jammwal in the role of a husband Sameer Chaudhary that goes to find his wife Nargis (Shivaleeka Oberoi) in an Arab fictitious country of Noman after he gets to know that his wife has been sold in flesh trade. Khuda Haafiz which also marks the Bollywood debut of the newbie debutante actress Shivaleeka Oberoi in Bollywood, is one of Vidyut’s best path breaking films till date where his quick transformation from being an action star to becoming a common man who fights against all odds in the film armed with love for his wife is an heart warming and inspiring story and digitally it became another hit film of 2020 and after seeing this brilliant response to Khuda Haafiz digitally from audiences and critics , producer Vipul Shah and director Faruk Kabir has announced Khuda Haafiz sequel Khuda Haafiz 2.
4. Ludo (Netflix, 2020) – This movie directed by Anurag Basu in this black comedy genre is once again a winner critically and audiences wise as well with its brilliantly scripted storyline and the star cast delivering them with perfection and digitally the netizens loved the movie a lot making it another superhit movie of the year 2020. With ensemble star cast of Pankaj Tripathi, Abhishek Bachchan, Rajkummar Rao, Fatima Sana Sheikh, Aditya Roy Kapur, and Sanya Malhotra, Ludo is a real winner in the most unused genre of black comedy.
5. Gunjan Saxena: The Kargil Girl (Netflix, 2020) – This biopic on India’s female airforce pilot Gunjan Saxena produced by Karan Johar’s Dharma Productions which stars Janhvi Kapoor in role of Gunjan and Pankaj Tripathi in role of her ever supportive father is another one of the critically acclaimed successful films of 2020 which has been loved by the audiences and netizens in 2020 very much. This biopic tells all about the story of India’s first female airforce pilot Gunjan Saxena and Janhvi’s performance in this film is too remarkable and impactful.