Amid the ongoing tensions between India and China, Indian security agencies have asked the government to either block 52 mobile applications linked to China or advise people not to use them, as they are not safe to use. These apps are sending data out of India on a large scale.
A senior central government official said that the proposal given by the intelligence agencies has also been supported by the National Security Council Secretariat, which believes that these apps can pose a threat to India’s security. “The proposal is under discussion,” said an official. He also elaborated that the standard of all mobile apps and the risks associated with them will be investigated.
In April this year, the Ministry of Home Affairs issued an advisory on the use of zoom. This advisory was issued by the Ministry on the proposal of the National Cyber Security Agency Computer Emergency Response Team India (CERT-in). India is not the first country to ban the use of zoom app in the government. Earlier Taiwan also banned government agencies from using the Zoom App. Germany and America have also done the same. The company responded to the advisory of the Ministry of Home Affairs and said that it was serious about the security of the users.
There have been demands for action on mobile apps that compromise security. Companies like Byte Dance, that owns video sharing apps, have denied this. But officials say that apps designed by Chinese developers or with Chinese links, whether they are for Android or iOS, can be used as spyware or other harmful ware. There are reports that security agencies have advised security personnel not to use these Chinese Apps as it threatens their data security.
Security agencies in Western countries have also expressed similar concerns about the hardware and software associated with China. An argument is also made that in the event of war, it can harm the communication services.
These apps on radar
· TikTok, Vault-Hide, Vigo Video, Bigo Live, Weibo
· WeChat, SHAREit, UC News, UC Browser
· BeautyPlus, Xender, ClubFactory, Helo, LIKE
· Kwai, ROMWE, SHEIN, NewsDog, Photo Wonder
· APUS Browser, VivaVideo- QU Video Inc
· Perfect Corp, CM Browser, Virus Cleaner (Hi Security Lab)
· Mi Community, DU recorder, YouCam Makeup
· Mi Store, 360 Security, DU Battery Saver, DU Browser
· DU Cleaner, DU Privacy, Clean Master – Cheetah
· CacheClear du apps studio, Baidu Translate, Baidu Map
· Wonder Camera, ES File Explorer, QQ International
· QQ Launcher, QQ Security Center, QQ Player, QQ Music
· QQ Mail, QQ NewsFeed, WeSync, SelfieCity, Clash of Kings
· Mail Master, Mi Video call-Xiaomi, Parallel Space