Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia on Friday made it clear that due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak there will be no sporting activity in the national capital, including the upcoming edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
In a press conference, Sisodia said, “We have decided to ban any sports activity where people will gather in huge numbers like the IPL. Social distancing is important to curb the breakout of coronavirus.”
Adding further to the statement the Delhi Government said, “In exercise of the powers conferred by the Delhi Epidemic Diseases, COVID-19, Regulations, 2020 under the Epidemic Diseases Act 1987, it is hereby directed that sports gathering (including IPL)/conferences/seminars beyond 200 people are prohibited in NCT of Delhi for the purpose of prevention and control of the outbreak of epidemic disease namely COVID-19.”
Speaking of IPL matches, a total of seven matches were slated to play at Delhi’s Arun Jaitley Cricket Stadium, home to the IPL franchise Delhi Capitals.
The 13th edition of the Indian Premier League was to began on 29th March but has been rescheduled and postponed to 15th April, to avoid the spread of the deadly disease.
Meanwhile, in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak that has infected 75 people in India so far and resulted in the death of one person in Karnataka, clouds have been circling over the IPL 2020.
Along with other national federations, the Sports Ministry has already made it very clear to the Board of Cricket Control In India (BCCI) that any event that may take place in the midst of the coronavirus outbreak must be behind closed doors.
All eight franchises have already said that they’re all right with the fact that the IPL will be held in empty stadiums. But they wish the international players to be made available from the beginning of the season.