58-year-old Aish Mohammad, a retired jawan is among hundreds of victims of last week’s violence in Delhi who have taken shelter at the relief camp in an Eidgah in Mustafabad. He owned a house in the nearby area of Bhagirathi Vihar which was set ablaze by a violent mob on February 25.
While narrating the incident, he told a leading daily, “200-300 rioters came and threw stones, fired bullets and then set fire to the house. I was inside with my 26-year-old son. We went to the terrace and jumped into the neighbor’s house. My niece was set to get married on the 29th March so all jewels were kept and they robbed it all.”
He further said, “In 1991, I even served in Kashmir and suffered injuries. Now after what has been done in the riots I feel I do not have a right to live in this country.”
In the attack, the first floor of his house was burnt down and so were the two motorbikes that belonged to him and his son. He has sent his wife and his two sons to his hometown of Bulandshahar and he himself has decided to stay back to save what little is left of his house.
The Anti-CAA Protests have been going on in Delhi since December 2019. However, they recently turned into communal riots between Hindus and Muslims claiming several lives and damage to property.
Two Special Investigative Teams (SITs) have been formed under Crime Branch, Delhi Police to probe the violence.
Recently, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the families of those killed in the violence. The government has also announced an immediate relief of Rs 25,000 to those whose houses have been burnt down.