- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Bomb explosion at Lucknow court injures 2 lawyers, 3 more live bombs recovered

A crude bomb was hurled at a lawyer's chamber in Lucknow court on Thursday. Two lawyers were injured in the blast and three live crude bombs have been recovered.

A bomb explosion took place at a Lucknow court on Thursday. The explosion took place in the Lucknow collectorate in Hazratganj, near the district magistrate’s office and barely a kilometre from the Uttar Pradesh Vidhan Sabha.

One person has been seriously injured while two others have received minor injuries.

According to locals, the blast was a result of a dispute between two groups of lawyers on a complaint. The bomb blast is believed to be an attempt to attack a lawyer present in the court. Sanjeev Lodhi, joint secretary of the Lucknow bar association, claimed he was the target.

Lucknow Bar Association Joint Secretary Sanjiv Kumar Lodhi claimed he was the target of the attack because he had been complaining about a few judicial officers.

He said about 10 people hurled crude bombs outside his chamber in which he and two other lawyers were injured. “One bomb exploded but two still lay unexploded,” he said, questioning the security on the premises. Bomb disposal and dog squads have reached the site of the blast.

Last month, lawyers struck work in protest against the recent attacks on them in the state.

The police have identified the bomber as one Jeetu Yadav. The bomb used was a locally made explosive device.

The Wazirganj police are on the spot and are probing the incident. So far, police have recovered 3 more live bombs from the scene.

After the explosion, the court erupted into chaos. Scores of angry lawyers crowded the area following the incident.

The Bar Council of Uttar Pradesh had asked bar associations to abstain from work to put pressure on the government to pass legislation to protect lawyers.

On January 7, lawyer Shekhar Tripathi (32) was beaten to death with sticks by five men in Lucknow, triggering anger among his colleagues who sat with the body at the district collectorate demanding justice.

On December 17, a man was killed and two policemen injured when unidentified assailants opened fire at Bijnore CJM’s court.

- Advertisement -

Latest Stories