Nowadays many TV serials are being made and are catering to audience’s different needs, but albeit very rarely do we come across classic and landmark shows like Rajan Shahi’s Bidaai (2007) and Anupamaa (Star Plus, 2020) which had brilliant storytelling where audiences still remember the story of Ragini and Sadhana even today and on other side in Anupamaa, it has won the hearts of fans and audiences with its excellent conceptualization and stellar performances by the star cast which has struck right chords with the audiences and fans. Since this year is about to end in next few days, we will see how Television serials have evolved from Bidaai to Anupamaa in 2020, decade apart but one of a kind.
There was a time when the women enjoyed watching women fighting and arguing on-screen. The kitchen politics, the exaggerated saas-bahu drama, and the over decked up woman was all the audience could see on the telly, but that changed in 2007. We all know how television goes through a transformation now and then, the last we saw that was in 2007 with ace producer Rajan Shahi’s show Sapna Babul Ka… Bidaai, and it happened this year as well with his show Anupamaa. Both these shows went on-air over a decade apart but did you know there are a lot of similarities between these two. Let’s have a look at the top five similarities between them where we will see the transformation of tinsel town from Bidaai to Anupamaa in 2020, decade apart but one of a kind.
1. Launch of production houses: With Bidaai, Rajan Shahi had launched his production house Director’s Kut Production in 2007, and with Anupamaa (2020), he along with his mother Deepa Shahi launched Shahi Productions Pvt Ltd. Both the shows marked the debut of these two production houses and a successful one.
2. Not your typical protagonist: Who would have thought that the story of two sisters and their struggles in Bidaai, would have taken the world, which was obsessed with kitchen drama, by a storm. And it happened again in 2020. When the world was enjoying young romances and thrillers, the story of a 40-year-old mother in Anupamaa showed them a mirror into their lives and made TV viewers, both nationally and internationally, fall in love with her.
3. Relatable characters: It’s not just Anupamaa whom you will find in every household, but one can find a Ragini and Sadhana too very easily. It’s very commonly seen that two sisters have different nature, and different personality, but even today the not-so-good-looking one is often the ignored one. But it’s not just the leads, even the parallel leads and their stories, perception are very relatable to the common audience.
4. Simple stories backed with good writing and hard-hitting dialogues: Be it Bidaai, or Anupamaa, both the shows are loved by the audience because though the story is very simple and an often seen but ignored one, it has been presented in the most beautiful way on-screen. The hero of both the shows is the writing and those hard-hitting dialogue that make you think.
5. Bringing some old talents back: Both Bidaai and Anupamaa brought talent powerhouses like Alok Nath, Alpana Buch, Arvind Vaidya, and Shekhar Shukla in the forefront. Not just them, even Sudhanshu Pandey, who plays Vanraj Shah in Anupamaa, is doing TV after a really long and has received a lot of love and appreciation for his character portrayal.