Deepika Padukone is coming up with a film titled ‘Chhapaak’ based on the life of acid attack survivor Laxmi Agarwal. The trailer of the film is already out and people are all praises about it. Before the film, let’s know some lesser-known facts about the real-life survivor who inspired Deepika to do the film.
1. Laxmi was 15-years old when she was attacked with acid by three men in Delhi after she refused the marriage proposal of one of them who was 32 years old. The attack left her face and other body parts disfigured.
2. In 2006, She initiated a PIL asking for new and stricter laws and also pleaded for a total ban on acid. In 2013, the Supreme Court ruled in favour of Laxmi putting certain restrictions on the sale of acid.
3. She is also the former director of Chhanv Foundation, an NGO dedicated to helping the survivors of acid attacks in India.
4. In 2013, Laxmi received the International Women Of Courage award by US First Lady Michelle Obama.
5. Laxmi was in a relationship with social activist Alok Dixit. But they never married. Instead, they opted for a live-in relationship. Alok had said in an interview, “We have decided to live together until we die. But we are challenging the society by not getting married. We don’t want people to come to our wedding and comment on Laxmi’s looks. The looks of a bride are most important for people. So we decided not to have any ceremony.”
6. Laxmi gave birth to a baby girl and named her Pihu.
7. Soon, after the birth of Pihu, the couple separated due to differences and the custody of their child was given to Laxmi.
8. Laxmi finds it too hard to get a job and struggles financially. She had said, “I am educated till the 10th standard, but am a trained beautician and can communicate well. But my face becomes a hurdle when I ask for any job at any beauty parlour, as they say customers will get scared of my looks. I applied at a call center and told them that the customers wouldn’t see my face, but they replied that ‘to get a job, I need to have a face, to begin with’.”
9. Laxmi even finds it hard to even pay rent. In 2018, she said in an interview, “I have no money. I just don’t. You can check my bank account and it doesn’t even have Rs 5000. This is how we activists live. I don’t have a regular job and all the money that my NGO gets is spent in taking care of acid attack survivors.”
10. She walked the ramp at London Fashion Week in 2016 and was paid just Rs 38,000 for a few episodes.
And now, her life is being portrayed by Deepika Padukone in Chhapaak. Have you seen the trailer yet?